References - Conception
Traffic Flow Improvement Measures for Merkato, Addis Ababa – Ethiopia
Merkato is the primary market center of Addis Ababa and Ethiopia as a whole. It is located it is located in the center of the city and has a large concentration of commercial shops, government and private offices, street markets, wholesale markets and warehouses. The Merkato area has regular demands of over 400,000 person movements and 50,000 vehicle movements per day.
The objective of this project was to improve overall mobility in Merkato. This involved traffic, public transport, freight, pedestrian and parking surveys to set the baseline for Merkato operations. From these surveys 5 concepts for Merkato were developed and evaluated by a range a project experts. All concepts differed in vehicle circulation and public transport, freight and private parking provisions.
The chosen concept provided more efficient public transport and freight facilities and restricted parking/circulation for private traffic. These efficiencies and restrictions allowed a substantial increase to public space allocated to pedestrian and market facilities.
Addis Ababa City Roads Authority (AACRA)
- Traffic Surveys including
- Public transport surveys, including passengers
- Turn movement traffic surveys
- Pedestrian surveys
- Freight transport surveys
- Classified cross-section surveys
- Analysis of existing demands for pedestrians, public transport, freight and private vehicle traffic
- Concept development and evaluation
- Developing street typologies including sketches
- Junction design
- Microscopic modelling in Vistro and developing signal timing plans in Lisa+ for selected junctions